commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:55:55 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks, Paul.  That is an interesting idea.  Are you recommending
>>> that we change the groupId for both versions?  If not, we could end
>>> up with unintentional "latest version" upgrades causing problems.
>>> The numbering could also be a little misleading.
>>>
>>> What negatives do you see in
>>>
>>> org.apache.commons:dbcp:1.3
>>> commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3
>>>
>>> We have not decided yet on whether we will maintain jdbc 3 support
>>> in 2.0, though that is doubtful.
>>>
>>> One other thing to keep in mind is that there will almost certainly
>>> be 1.3.x patch releases to follow for both jdbc3 and jdbc4
>>>
>>> Phil

It is

We simply have

>> I'm starting to think it would be better to release two versions
>>  - DBCP 1.3 - compatible with JDBC3 and JDK 1.4
>>  - DBCP 1.4 - compatible with JDBC4 and JDK 1.6
>>
>> Use the same source, just change the version number, target JDK and
>> comment/uncomment the JDBC_4 markers.
>>
>> Wouldn't this be easier in the end? When you're ready to release DBCP
>> 1.4, then create a branch, run an ant task to comment the JDBC4 stuff,
>> change the version & JDK target.

You mean 1.3 above, right?

> P.S. I'm will to put the time in to do at least one of these releases
> - e.g. if you do DBCP 1.4, then I'll branch and create the equivalent
> DBCP 1.3 release

So I guess we're back to where I started ;)

Do we change the groupId for 1.4?  I am a little worried about
unintentional incompatible updates, otherwise.  Also, I assume we do
two release votes and two full distros, correct?

Thanks for the offer to help!

Phil