commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:39:09 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote at Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 17:12:
>
>> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>> Hi Phil,

>>> [snip]

>>> Note, that I also changed the artifactId "dbcp vs. dbcp4" ;-)
>>>
>>> However, thinking about it, I am not sure if this is necessary and we can
>>> really keep the artifactId (your first plan). If somebody uses both
>>> artifacts (by transitive deps), his project is broken anyway. We simply
>>> have to point out in the website and README, that there are really two
>>> different commons-dbcp-1.3.jar files. Or is it too much confusion?
>> That worries ma a little bit, more for Ant than Maven users.
>> Incompatible jars with the same name in the wild is asking for
>> trouble (well, like the old days ;).
>>
>> Another option, given that we don't have to mess with relocation
>> poms, is just to use org.apache.commons:dbcp:1.3 for the jdbc4 version.
>
> Well, the point was, that such a dbcp-1.3.jar is no longer backward
> compatible to a dbcp-1.2.x.jar. Therefore I proposed the change of the
> artifactId for the JDBC4 version in first place. And here are the Maven
> users affected ;-)

Did you miss that I cut out the "commons" from the artifactId?

That way we have commons-dbcp-1.3.jar and dbcp-1.3.jar in the wild.
 I guess I liked "dbcp" better than "commons-dbcp4" for the new
artifactId.  IIUC, the only reason we have kept the "commons-" on
the relocated commons artifactIds for components moved thus far is
so the relocation poms will work.   Since we are not doing that
here, we can make a clean break and use what seems to me at least a
more natural artifactId.  As always, could be I am missing something.

Phil