commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:12:43 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote at Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 15:20:
>
>> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> OK, but then we should really think about "drop-in replacement" or not.
>>> Basically we say that dbcp 1.3 with JDBC4 will not be backward
>>> compatible. Then why don't we use the new artifactId for this and allow
>>> 1.3 with JDBC3 to be a real drop-in replacement? If somebody works with
>>> ranges, he might get the newer dbcp anyway and wondering about the
>>> incompatibility later.
>>>
>>> Therefore we might better do:
>>>
>>> org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp4:1.3
>>> commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3
>> Thanks Jorg and Grzegorz.  Really appreciate the feedback. It is
>> important that we get this right, minimizing confusion / bad impact
>> to maven users and making upgrades both safe and as easy as
>> possible. I was thinking the same way as you, Jörg, on the groupId
>> change for the jdbc4 version.
>
> Note, that I also changed the artifactId "dbcp vs. dbcp4" ;-)
>
> However, thinking about it, I am not sure if this is necessary and we can
> really keep the artifactId (your first plan). If somebody uses both
> artifacts (by transitive deps), his project is broken anyway. We simply have
> to point out in the website and README, that there are really two different
> commons-dbcp-1.3.jar files. Or is it too much confusion?

That worries ma a little bit, more for Ant than Maven users.
Incompatible jars with the same name in the wild is asking for
trouble (well, like the old days ;).

Another option, given that we don't have to mess with relocation
poms, is just to use org.apache.commons:dbcp:1.3 for the jdbc4 version.

Phil