commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:20:05 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Benedict wrote at Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 05:03:
>
>> When I was patching Hibernate, they needed different sources because
>> of JDBC3/4 incompatibility. It just wasn't possible to compile for
>> both dependencies.
>>
>> I just checked with Brett Porter of Maven. He says that if the sources
>> are identical, you can use qualifiers; otherwise it would conflict
>> when you generate sources/javadocs/tests. You couldn't publish
>> different sources/etc. once the qualifier is used -- makes sense you
>> can't append more than one qualifier.
>>
>> Based on this advice, I revert to my previous advice and say they
>> should be separate artifactIds with no qualifiers.
>
> OK, but then we should really think about "drop-in replacement" or not.
> Basically we say that dbcp 1.3 with JDBC4 will not be backward compatible.
> Then why don't we use the new artifactId for this and allow 1.3 with JDBC3
> to be a real drop-in replacement? If somebody works with ranges, he might
> get the newer dbcp anyway and wondering about the incompatibility later.
>
> Therefore we might better do:
>
> org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp4:1.3
> commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3

Thanks Jorg and Grzegorz.  Really appreciate the feedback. It is
important that we get this right, minimizing confusion / bad impact
to maven users and making upgrades both safe and as easy as
possible. I was thinking the same way as you, Jörg, on the groupId
change for the jdbc4 version.  I see this as killing two birds with
one stone - getting us to the maven standard groupId moving forward
and eliminating or at least making less likely the chance of users
blowing up due to unintentional incompatible upgrades.

Regarding Tomcat, Mark or someone else can chime in to confirm, but
my understanding is that tomcat builds and repackages dbcp from
source using Ant and as long as we keep trunk sources as they are,
tomcat will be able to build all versions.

Phil