commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL 2.0] o.a.c.jexl or o.a.c.jexl2 ?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:58:56 GMT

Jörg Schaible-2 wrote:

> The question is, if it is a drop-in replacement. If not, you may not be
> able
> to use the new version due to transitive deps.

JEXL 2.0 is a drop-in replacement when JEXL 1.x has been used "casually";
the "core" public API, classes & behaviors have been preserved
({Script,Expression}Factory, Expression, JexlContext). The internals have
changed but if there were some devs using those, they've sailed away a long
time ago...

I know Jelly (which is pretty much abandoned) is a "casual" user and I
suspect the huge majority of projects to be in this case too. (Jelly's most
prominent dependent, Maven 1, although much used, is already superseded by
Maven 2).
The probability of the transitive dependencies problem occurring seems low
and highly likely solved by removing JEXL 1.x from the classpath.

On the other hand, using o.a.c.jexl2 does not hurt JEXL 2.0 besides slowing
down its eventual adoption rate (which has no value by itself); it might
even speed-up the release (pending a correct one can be published :-)).

If the safe o.a.c.jexl2 approach allows to release JEXL-2.0 faster, I'm all
for it.