commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r835458 - in /commons/proper/jexl/trunk: src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/ src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/scripting/ src/test/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/ xdocs/
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:02:05 GMT

Given JEXL usage - aka embedded in something else-, Runtime exceptions are
easier to work with and give more choice. JexlException and
UnifiedJEXL.Exception are already Runtime exceptions and are sufficient;
having a checked Exception for parsing does not bring any value and was
inconsistent with the approach of having a minimal footprint.

As for the process itself, it just seemed given the size of the JEXL
community that such a change would not foster much interest as a discussion
(using JEXL-61 as an example-). My bad.

I'll soon try to cut the RC1 so if you've got any (other) strong concerns
about what has been done so far, please tell me now.

sebb-2-2 wrote:

> On 12/11/2009, henrib@apache.org <henrib@apache.org> wrote:
>> Author: henrib
>>  Date: Thu Nov 12 17:22:06 2009
>>  New Revision: 835458

>>  Log:
>>  Changed exception handling; ParseException is no longer exposed through
>> public APIs, only JexlException and UnifiedJEXL.Exception are used, the
>> API now only uses unchecked exceptions.
>
> What's the rationale for this change?
>
> It may be a good idea (or it may not); either way I think it should
> have been discussed on the dev list first and/or via a JIRA
> enhancement request.
>
> S///

View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/svn-commit%3A-r835458---in--commons-proper-jexl-trunk%3A-src-main-java-org-apache-commons-jexl--src-main-java-org-apache-commons-jexl-scripting--src-test-java-org-apache-commons-jexl--xdocs--tp26322698p26325285.html
Sent from the Commons - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.