commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release problems
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:32:30 GMT
> [...]
>  > Here again, all of these should be immutable properties set by the
>  > constructor.
>  >> The use of synchronization seems rather haphazard to me.
>  >
>  > harsh but true ;)  Comment above really covers it - the needlessly
>  > sloppy synch is in most cases due to overly mutable - and sometimes
>  > directly exposed - properties and no concern for synch issues that
>  > are not likely to occur in normal use.  I am +1 for fixing anything
>  > that we can pre-2.0 subject to compat and performance constraints.
>  >>>  2. We can't compile commons-pool-1.3.jar against JDK 1.6 (JDBC 4)
>  >>>  and expect it to work for JDK 1.4/1.5 (JDBC 3) clients (at least not
>  >>>  as the code stands today).  So we need to create two jar artifacts.
>  >> How difficult would it be to support both in the same jar?
>  >
>  > I would like to do that if we could do it safely.  I have not been
>  > able to get the 1.6-compiled jar to successfully run the tests
>  > compiled against 1.5.
>  >
>  > The failure that I get when using Ant to compile and execute the
>  > tests (commenting out the 1.6-stuff in the test classes) using a
>  > 1.6-built jar is strange:
>  >
>  > [junit] Exception in thread "Thread-16"
>  > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/sql/SQLClientInfoException
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:592)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1537)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1526)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1374)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1038)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestBasicDataSource.getConnection(TestBasicDataSource.java:44)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestConnectionPool.newConnection(TestConnectionPool.java:84)
>  >     [junit]   at
>  > org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestConnectionPool$TestThread.run(TestConnectionPool.java:595)
>  >     [junit]   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
>  >
>  > Strange as the line number in PCF.makeObject and missing class makes
>  > no sense.
>  >

> This ^^^ is bugging me as I don't see why it shouldn't work.  I just
>  committed an Ant build file, "test-jar.xml" that compiles and runs
>  the tests against a compiled jar.  Could be something wrong with my
>  local setup, so I would appreciate it if others could test using JDK

Created dist/commons-dbpc.jar using "ant dist" under Java 1.6.0_17 (WinXP)

ant -f test-jar.xml  clean test -Dcp=dist/commons-dbcp.jar

generates a lot of stack trace output but test succeeds.

I then switched to Java 1.5.0_22

ant -f test-jar.xml  clean test -Dcp=dist/commons-dbcp.jar

fails with:

compile-test:
    [mkdir] Created dir:
D:\eclipseworkspaces\main\commons-dbcp-rw\build\test-classes
    [javac] Compiling 39 source files to
D:\eclipseworkspaces\main\commons-dbcp-rw\build\test-classes
    [javac] D:\eclipseworkspaces\main\commons-dbcp-rw\build\src\test\org\apache\commons\dbcp\TestBasicDataSource.java:47:
cannot access org.apache.com
mons.dbcp.BasicDataSource
    [javac] bad class file:
D:\eclipseworkspaces\main\commons-dbcp-rw\dist\commons-dbcp.jar(org/apache/commons/dbcp/BasicDataSource.class)
    [javac] class file has wrong version 50.0, should be 49.0
    [javac] Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct
subdirectory of the classpath.
    [javac]     protected BasicDataSource ds = null;
    [javac]               ^
    [javac] 1 error

This is presumably because the main build.xml file does not define the
target Java version, so it defaults to 1.6.

Or am I going about the test in the wrong way?

I'll try changing the main build java target and see what happens.