commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:46:04 GMT
Hi Phil and Niall,

Phil Steitz wrote:

> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Jörg Schaible <>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Grzegorz,
>>> [snip]
>>> For sure, but the causing problem cannot be solved by any build tool.
>>> Look at the following situation:
>>> X - your project
>>> X depends on A and B
>>> A depends on dbcp-jdbc3
>>> B depends on dbcp-jdbc4
>>> Result: Your app is simply broken. It does not matter whether the build
>>> tool will place both dbcp jars into a shared library or only one of the
>>> jars and this is completely independent of the dbcp jar's names.
>> I don't agree its not broken - its a normal situation. In this
>> scenario you use DBCP 1.4 and that should work just fine with both
>> dependency A and B. In maven terms it will do its normal dependency
>> resolution and pick the later DBCP version.
> I don't follow this - either the assertion that it will "work" or
> that maven will only include 1.4.  IIUC, the "later version"
> resolution will only happen if we stick with the same groupId.
> Secondly, given the incompatibilities, the A part could blow up if
> dbcp 1.4 is used (of course, Jorg's point is that A and B are
> already incompatible in this case).

I guess Niall has a point. However, look at this scenario with the example

X is using Java 6
A has been build using Java 1.4 (hence JDBC 3)
B has been build using Java 6

The question is now whether the app is broken or not. Can X using A
successfully run on JDBC 4?

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: