commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release BeanUtils 1.8.1 based on RC1
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 06:44:51 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote at Freitag, 9. Oktober 2009 00:03:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> Thanks for testing, comments inline...

[snip]

>> Issues with Sun JDK 1.3.1:
>> ==========================
>>
>> Source compilable, but a lot of tests fail.
>
> All the tests pass for me - I was using Ant 1.7.1 and Sun's JDK
> 1.3.1_18 on Windows XP - but I tried Ant 1.6.5 and JDK 1.3.1_20 (again
> on WinXP) and also had no problems. Are the tests actually failing or
> are you just seeing alot of exceptions in  the output? Because
> BeanUtils uses reflection to intialise the "cause" when re-throwing
> exceptions for JDK 1.4+, but for JDK 1.3 it logs the stack trace of
> the original exception. For example:

http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/xref/org/apache/commons/beanutils/PropertyUtilsBean.html#2194

http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/xref/org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtilsBean.html#1041

I'll have a closer look this evening when I'm back from office, but, yes, it
looks like a lot of those.

>> Issues with IBM JDK 1.4.2 and 1.5:
>> ==================================
>>
>> 1/ strange warnings on console for one test:
>
> The class thats being tested logs those warnings for null values:

http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/xref/org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanPropertyValueChangeClosure.html#170

[snip]

I simply wondered, why these warnings appear for those two JDKs only.
However, it might also related to the fact that I've build those with Maven
1 and the mechanism to catch the console output is different (or configured
in a different way).

>> 2/ org.apache.commons.beanutils.bugs.Jira347TestCase: 1 Error
>
> This test was copied from MemoryLeakTestCase and the same problem
> occurred for BeanUtils 1.8.0 when you tested with maven1 and IBM JDKs.
> Would be nice to get these tests working (wonder if they work with IBM
> JDK and ant, rather than maven1) but I can't seem to find anywhere to
> download the IBM JDK for windows. So since its a problem in the test
> rather than actual BeanUtils functionality I can only suggest that we
> ignore this again, unless someone can come up with a fix for the test:
>
> http://commons.markmail.org/message/6fhsjmrugz6c746y

see my reply to sebb

[snip]

>> Issues with IBM JDK 1.6:
>> ========================
>>
>> 1/ org.apache.commons.beanutils.memoryleaktests.MemoryLeakTestCase
>> ================ %< ====================
>
> OK so the IBM JDK 1.6 got past the setup problems and fails the actual
> test. This is disappointing because it means the fix we put in for the
> memory leak that works on Sun's JDK doesn't seem to work for IBM JDK
> 1.6. I've created a bug report for this:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-366
>
> ...but its going to need someone to fix this or for me to get the IBM
> JDK. Anyway those same tests fail in Sun's JDK 1.3 & JDK 1.4 - so
> theres a check so they don't run on pre-1.5 JDKs - can't find anything
> in the archives as to why they fail or the results of any
> investigation. Anyway I don't believe this is something new in this
> release and the attitude we took with the memory leak fixes is that if
> they work in some JDKs (i.e Suns) then thats progress even if they
> don't resolve it for all JDKs. Anyway I've logged the bug but I'm
> hoping this won't stop this release since none of the changes made
> since 1.8.0 go anywhere near the caching that causes/caused the memory
> leaks.

We might add something to release notes about known issues then.

[snip]

>> Minor nits:
>> xdocs/changes.xml: BEANUTILS-354 is reported twice
>
> Thanks I fixed this in trunk:

Hehe, you additionally spotted the year of the release. I'm currently
filling my tax forms for last year, so it did look quite too familiar for
me :))

- Jörg