commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL] Next steps towards release?
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:52:52 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Henrib <hbiestro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>

>> Right, its non-trivial (and sometimes multiple votes are needed and
>> that requires a lot of patience) but its not all that daunting either.
>>
>> When I was getting started, I found it best to observe the process
>> when someone else more experienced was RM'ing. ATM, the ongoing
>> BeanUtils release provides such an opportunity.
>>
>> I'd say if you are thinking about RM'ing, its time to do it ;-) I'll
>> try my best to answer any questions you may have.
>>
>> -Rahul
>>

> I'm not thinking about RM'ing per se, I just would like 2.0 released. :-)
> But it also seems I'm probably one of the very few interested in it...
> Besides, I'm still a "newbie" as a committer and my mistake/commit ratio is
> probably a bit high for this responsibility.
> Anyway, as is, the trunk looks good - at least by Maven's Checkstyle &
> Cobertura reports -, the Javadoc seems to be 95% acceptable but I don't know
> how to produce a decent 'changes report' (and I'm even less capable of
> defining what an acceptable Clirr/JDiff output should be and have yet to
> grasp whether a new branch should be cut or not, etc...).
<snip/>

A clirr report can be produced using the clirr maven plugin or by
running clirr on the command line. Then we stare at any errors or
warnings in the report and make sure each one of them can be justified
and changes are in line with the versioning guidelines. Related
resources for this part:

  http://mojo.codehaus.org/clirr-maven-plugin/

  http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html

> Just tell me what I should do, what the next action should be and I'll try
> to follow instructions.

<snap/>

The objective is to produce a complete set of release artifacts like
this one (release notes, src and bin assemblies, m2 staging repo,
site):

  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/digester/2.0/RC1/

That set was produced using the procedure outlined here:

  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases

Once artifacts are ready, I usually post a link to dev@ for feedback
for a week or so, and if all is well its time to vote.

-Rahul