commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 12
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:50:20 GMT
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Nial,
>
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to release version 12 of the commons-parent pom - the changes
>> since the last release are:
>>
>>  - the javadoc jar now has standard entries (e.g. version, title)
>> added to its MANIFEST.MF file
>>  - the sources jar now has standard entries (e.g. version, title)
>> added to its MANIFEST.MF file
>>  - project.build.sourceEncoding added and set to iso-8859-1
>>  - project.reporting.outputEncoding added and set to iso-8859-1
>>  - inceptionYear removed
>>  - Update plugin versions to the latest release
>
> ======== %< ===========
> $ mvn versions:display-plugin-updates
> [INFO] The following plugin updates are available:
> [INFO]   org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin ................. 1.4.0 ->
> 2.0.1
> ======== %< ===========
>
> Is there a reason, why we do not use the latest version of the bundle
> plugin?

2.x requires JDK 1.5 also I vaguely remember some problem that would
have caused a problem for us - that was probably 2.0 rather than 2.0.1
- but I never got time to investigate. I'm OK with minimum of JDK 1.5
(I'm running maven 2.2.1 which requires that) - but wasn't sure, so
thought I would leave that plugin for the moment.

>>  - idea plugin locked down in pluginManagement
>
> Why? Plugins like idea, eclipse or netbeans should not be locked down. Even
> if you checkout an old version of a project from a tag, you will still use
> your latest IntelliJ IDEA version, therefore the idea plugin should
> generate projects matching that one and not an ancient release.

OK I don't actually use it - I was playing with maven 3 which now
warns when you don't lock down plugin versions and its usually a *good
practice*. But you make a good argument so I'll revert that.

> Thoughts?
>
>>  - plugin list now sorted
>>  - sanselan & compress added to modules
>
> ======== %< ===========
> [WARNING] The following plugins do not have their version specified:
> [WARNING]   maven-clean-plugin .......................... (from super-pom)
> 2.1
> [WARNING]   maven-deploy-plugin ....................... (from super-pom)
> 2.2.1
>
> IMHO these should be locked down also (with their latest version). Now it
> depends on the Maven version in use.

Good catch I'll add those as well.

Niall