commons-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [validator] Direction of validator implementation based on JSR 303
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:57:40 GMT
The amount of time to start over seems like a waste, given we have an
existing ASL 2.0 licensed codebase which is 75-80% done and wanting to
come over to the ASF....

-Donald

Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> [...]
>> created over in the Apache Geronimo Specs subproject [1], with the other
>> Java EE spec APIs we ship, so I'd be -1 on creating another copy, see
>> VALIDATOR-274 for history.
>>
>> As far as the provider implementation, I've been working with the
>> Agimatec-Validation project [2] currently hosted on Google Code which is ASL
>> 2.0 licensed to bring it over to Apache.  I have a completed SGA from the
>> company (Agimatec Gmbh) that developed the code, but was working with some
>> other ASF members on how we should bring the code into the ASF, so guess
>> it's time to start discussing that here.  Currently, our thoughts were to
>> bring it in as a subproject to an existing TLP (like Commons, OpenJPA or
>> Geronimo) and not create a new Incubator Podling, since we have committers
>> from multiple projects interested in working on a JSR-303 implementation
>> (Geronimo, OpenJPA, MyFaces, OpenEJB, Commons, ...).  The only complication,
>> is that we would need to  offer committership to Roman from Agimatec as soon
>> as the Incubator IP clearance is finished, as he would need to be the one to
>> remove the existing Agimatec copyright statements.  Thoughts?
>>

>> [1]
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-validation_1.0_spec
>>
>> [2] http://code.google.com/p/agimatec-validation/
>>

>> -Donald
>>

>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> The current trunk in the validator2 sandbox is a copy of the Validator
>>> 1.4 code from "commons proper" - but I think we should dump all the
>>> existing validator framework code and just retain the "routines"
>>> package. Trying to maintain any sort of compatibility with the
>>> existing validator framework would be alot more work and code and
>>> create a real mess IMO and I think it would be better to not to even
>>> try. The "routines" package was refactored realtively recently(!) and
>>> can stand on its own.
>>>
>>> So I would like to propose the following direction for a Validator2
>>> based on the Bean Validation Framework(JSR 303) - a project with three
>>> separate modules composing of:
>>>
>>>  - The Bean Validation (JSR303) API - no dependencies
>>>  - Standalone Validation Routines (based on existing validator
>>> routines package) - no dependencies including Bean Validation API
>>>  - Validation Framework - JSR303 implementation (depends on two modules
>>> above)
>>>
>>> I have created an alternative branch in the Validator sandbox project
>>> based on the above approach:
>>>

>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/validator2/branches/alternative/
>>>
>>> I have created a "clean room" implementation of the Bean Validation
>>> API[1] which (hopefully) is complete except for JavaDocs. The only
>>> real functionality is in javax.validation.Validation - the rest are
>>> annotations, interfaces and exceptions. I have also copied the
>>> "routines" package into a standalone module[2]. So the next thing is
>>> to start the actual framework implementation module.

>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/validator2/branches/alternative/validation-api/
>>> [2]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/validator2/branches/alternative/validation-routines/
>>> [3]