commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] Which CombinedConfiguration
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:28:07 GMT
Ralph Goers schrieb:

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers schrieb:

>>> Rather than making further changes I think it would make sense to
>>> just get rid of the "old" stuff so that there aren't two
>>> CombinedConfiguratons, two sets of Combiners and two expression
>>> engines. Once we are back to just one it should make it easier to
>>> make changes again.
>>
>> Okay, in the next days I will try how far I get with the reworked
>> classes, so that we can get rid of the old ones. IIRC I also had some
>> trouble with DefaultConfigurationBuilder.
>>
>> Did you apply some changes to CombinedConfiguration which are not
>> ported to combined/CombinedConfiguration?
>>

> Yes. And DynamicCombinedConfiguration as well. But I have a suspicion
> that other changes weren't applied as well. Hopefully it shouldn't be
> too hard to do a diff between the two and reconcile the differences.

I have now completed a major update of DefaultConfigurationBuilder to
use the new combined.CombinedConfiguration class instead of the old one.

DefaultConfigurationBuilder was the main cause for the existence of
duplicated classes because if it switches to the new
CombinedConfiguration, all types of sub configurations it supports must
be hierarchical. This has been achieved by means of the
AbstractFlatConfiguration base class, which simulates a hierarchical
configuration on top of a flat one.

Currently I get 3 test failures. 2 are in TestPreferencesConfiguration
and may be unrelated to my changes (a problem with access rights on a
windows registry key - I just switched to Windows 7; need to check on a
different machine). The other one is in
TestMultiFileHierarchicalConfiguration, the test for schema validation.
It should not be too difficult to get this test running again, but I am
not sure about the desired outcome: The reload causes an exception,
which cleared the content of the sub configuration. However, the
combined configuration is currently not notified about this change and
keeps its (stale) data.

I am not sure whether all changes performed at CombinedConfiguration and
DynamicCombinedConfiguration have been applied to the new classes in the
combined package. Please have a look. If these classes are merged, we
can actually start to remove the old ones.

A final remark: I don't know what is required to make the configuration2
branch usable. The approach with AbstractFlatConfiguration is an attempt
to make all configuration classes hierarchical. The approach with
configuration sources (i.e. the stuff in the base package) has the same
purpose, and it seems to be more elegant and powerful. So I would like
to follow this path a bit more.

Oliver