commons-dev mailing list archives

From "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] Multi-thread issues
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:50:08 GMT
I found the problem and the fix was tested by the product engineer who
reported it. The problem was that AbstractHierarchicalConfiguration was
calling setDetailEvents while unlocked. Multiple threads would get in and so
the ConfigurationListener was never notified of the event. I just had that
reload method synchronize on the delegate lock before calling
setDetailEvents and the problem went away in my tests.
I have no idea what the purpose of setDetailEvents is but it certainly
wasn't designed to keep track of what multiple threads are doing.

I hope to have time at ApacheCon to work on VFS and Configuration2. I'd like
to get VFS released even if it has bugs left to fix. And it would be great
to get Configuration2 to a point that it can be used. One of my first goals
- after you get rid of the duplicate classes - will be to make
HierarchicalConfiguration be an interface with only the APIs available that
callers should be using. Next, get rid of the attribute splitting and
delimiter parsing.