commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "Daemon" by HakanSoderstrom
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:01:37 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "Daemon" page has been changed by HakanSoderstrom.
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Daemon?action=diff&rev1=8&rev2=9

  = Overview =
  Commons Daemon http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon/index.html can be used to run executables
or java applications as windows service or UNIX daemon.
+
+ To build it from source you need GNU ''autoconf'' and ''m4'' in addition to the requirements
listed in the presentation page.
+
  = FAQ =
-
  == Is it possible to use the commons daemon to run a executable as Windows service? ==
  Yes, not only java applications can be installed as windows service. Similar to the Srvany.exe
tool any other exe can be used.

  === Sample: Proxomitron (http://www.proxomitron.info/) as windows service ===
- Installation:
- prunsrv //IS//PROXO --DisplayName="Proxomitron Proxy" --Description="Proxomitron Web Proxy"
--StartImage=c:\proxomitron\proxomitron.exe --StartPath=c:\proxomitron   --Type=interactive
--LogLevel=DEBUG --LogPath=c:\proxomitron\logs --LogPrefix=procrun.log --Startup=manual --StdOutput=c:\proxomitron\logs\stdout.log
--StdError=c:\proxomitron\logs\stderr.log
+ Installation: prunsrv //IS//PROXO --DisplayName="Proxomitron Proxy" --Description="Proxomitron
Web Proxy" --StartImage=c:\proxomitron\proxomitron.exe --StartPath=c:\proxomitron   --Type=interactive
--LogLevel=DEBUG --LogPath=c:\proxomitron\logs --LogPrefix=procrun.log --Startup=manual --StdOutput=c:\proxomitron\logs\stdout.log
--StdError=c:\proxomitron\logs\stderr.log

+ Uninstallation: prunsrv //DS//PROXO
- Uninstallation:
- prunsrv //DS//PROXO

  == Can I use the commons daemon to install (register) a Windows service? ==
+ Yes a Windows service can be installed/uninstalled using prunsrv. See the following example
to install the a Windows Service called SCNService: prunsrv //IS//SCNService --Install=%CD%\SCNService.exe
--Startup=manual --DisplayName=SCNService
- Yes a Windows service can be installed/uninstalled using prunsrv. See the following example
to install the a Windows Service called SCNService:
- prunsrv //IS//SCNService --Install=%CD%\SCNService.exe --Startup=manual --DisplayName=SCNService

  Hint: prunsrv will add "//RS//SCNService" to the ImagePath, which will be passed to SCNService.exe
when the Windows SCM (Service Control Manager) is staring the service. Most Services will
ignore such command line arguments, but you should check this with your service just to make
sure.

@@ -24, +23 @@

  These errors occur when JVM used by Tomcat is unable to locate msvcr71.dll runtime library.

  Possible solutions:
+
   * Copy msvcr71.dll from java’s bin directory to tomcat’s bin folder
   * Add java’s bin directory to windows environment variable
   * Copy msvcr71.dll from java’s bin directory to windows\system32 folder
   * Make sure your tomcat’s pointing to correct jvm.dll folder
+
  == Can I use the common daemon to start a Windows service? ==
  I can stop a windows service with //SS//ServiceName. As I tried to start it again with //RS//
nothing happend?