commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject [exec] ThreadPool?
Date Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:14:46 GMT
Hello-

I just switched from my own exec wrappers to commons exec, and it is
much better -- thank you thank you!

However, one thing I notice (especially while profiling) is that every
task and watchdog gets a new Thread.  This is ok -- but gets kinda
overwhelming with lots of short lived processes (my app keeps ~20
processes running, some may finish in a few millis -- some may take
hours).

Are there any plans/desire to move to using a thread pool?  The nice
java concurrency stuff was added in 1.5, so that may be off the table,
but there could be simple Thread reuse strategies that minimize thread
creation/destruction.  Or perhaps written in a way that a 1.5 pluggable
Thread Pool would be possible?

thanks
ryan