commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL] / operator behavior change
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:52:44 GMT
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2009, Henrib <hbiestro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  As part of JEXL-87 (which relates to JEXL-65), the / operator now does
>>  integer divisions on integers (big or small); in other words, it behaves the
>>  same way the other operators do.
>>
>>  This is the common behavior in several languages (Java, ECMAScript, C, C++)
>>  and the workaround if you need decimal precision is 4 characters away: 'x /
>>  y' becomes 'x*1.0 / y'
>>  Given the targeted (known) usages of JEXL, it seems preferable to behave as
>>  commonly expected rather than introducing another operator dedicated to
>>  integer division.
>
> Agreed, now that integers are no longer promoted to double, the "/"
> and "div" commands are fine for integer division.
>
>>  Any strong votes against this modification ?
>
> OK by me.
>
> So long as we document the changes to how numbers are promoted.

<snip/>

Sounds good, and yes, please document and make a notable mention in
RELEASE-NOTES.txt [1] etc. (would be good for all of us to get in the
habit of updating release notes as notable changes are made --
especially ones that alter behavior).

-Rahul

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jexl/branches/2.0/RELEASE-NOTES.txt