commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chen Bangzhong <>
Subject a question regarding maxactive
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:05:15 GMT
Hi, experts

I have one java web application. In the application, several datasource was configured for
dbcp. For each datasource, maxActive was set to 100 and max Idle set to 30.

Then I used several crawlers to make the web application very busy, until the application
reported that it can't get an idle connection to the database server.

But strangely enough, I found the connections to database servers was only about 100 using
the nestat -an command.

so my question is : is the maxActive shared by the whole applications ? In my opinion, the
max connection should be the number of datasource times maxActive.  For example, 4 datasources,
the connections should be 400, not 100.

How about different jvm on the same machine?