commons-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VALIDATOR] Proposal for a JSR-303 Bean Validation Implementation
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:18:14 GMT

Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> wrote:
>> Everyone, I think it is time again to reopen the discussions around creating
>> a Validator2 release [1], which implements the upcoming JSR-303 Bean
>> Validation spec [2] and [3].  Since JSR-303 is now a required component of
>> Java EE 6 application servers and must be supported by JSR-314 JSF2 and
>> JSR-317 JPA2, there is growing interest in the Apache Geronimo, Apache
>> OpenJPA, Apache MyFaces and Apache OpenEJB projects to grow and maintain a
>> JSR-303 implementation at Apache.
>>
>> First, to meet this goal, I would like us to consider the following options:
>>
>> I. - Commons Sandbox
>> Utilize the existing validator2 sandbox area [4] to collaborate on a JSR-303
>> implementation which would eventually become commons-validator-2.0.
>> Pros:  Existing Apache committers can be given access to the sandbox and
>> work with the Commons community to become committers.
>> Cons:  Non-committers must provide patches and build karma, even before the
>> project is moved out of the sandbox (we have interest from two companies to
>> help, but most of their potential contributors are not Apache committers.)
>>
>> II. - Apache Incubator
>> Submit an incubator proposal to create a JSR-303 focused project, which
>> would be sponsored by the Commons PMC and/or Geronimo PMC with the goal
>> being that the candidate proposal would become a sub-project of Commons as
>> the new Validator R2 code base.
>> Pros:  Allows us to seed the initial project with non-committers and
>> demonstrate there is broad support for this project.
>> Cons:  Additional incubator proposal and graduation overhead, along with not
>> working closely with the whole Commons community on developing the new code
>> base.
>
> I don't really have an opinion on this - the people who are going to
> do the actual work should decide.
>
>> Secondly, we have two existing JSR-303 implementations that we could
>> possibly use to help bootstrap this effort:
>
> Can you be a bit more specific on what you think the scope for Commons
> Validator 2 should be? Does it need to be a JSR-303 implementation
> (esp. if the JBoss RI is Apache Licensed) or something built on top of
> JSR-303. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but if the main motivation
> is so that Geronimo has a fulling compliant EE 6 release why not just
> take the JSR 303 RI?

A Validator2 project would need to implement the JSR-303 spec (requires
JDK5 or later for annotation support), along with providing as much of a
migration path for existing Validator users as possible.

Hosting a codebase at Apache would allow us to:
1) bring value-add to JSR-303 by keeping the current commons-validator
constraints as additional implementation unique ones (most of which are
not currently required as part of a JSR-303 implementation) and possibly
the client-side Javascript
2) provide an Apache hosted codebase that other ASF projects (Geronimo,
MyFaces, OpenJPA, OpenEJB, ...) could rely upon for timely fixes and
releases (instead of a JBoss controlled release schedule for Hibernate)
3) potentially provide future integration, feature and performance
enhancements over the RI, as required by our ASF projects and user
communities

-Donald