commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [lang] New synchronization primitive
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:01:23 GMT
AIUI the mission of commons-lang is to provide extensions and
improvements for existing Java API classes. The concurrent package in
Java 5 is a great step forward in supporting multi-threaded programming
in Java, nevertheless there is certainly still room for improvements.
The proposed concurrent utilities for lang are not intended to reinvent
the wheel, but to implement additional and convenience functionality on
top of the existing API.

@Ted: The proposed class is not high-sophisticated, but given the
additional timing aspect it is not trivial either. Of course, it can be
implemented using standard Java means (that's what I did), but having
something that works out of the box is surely preferable than having to
create your own implementation. This is the purpose of a library, isn't it?

Oliver