commons-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject [VALIDATOR] Proposal for a JSR-303 Bean Validation Implementation
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:37:58 GMT
Everyone, I think it is time again to reopen the discussions around
creating a Validator2 release [1], which implements the upcoming JSR-303
Bean Validation spec [2] and [3].  Since JSR-303 is now a required
component of Java EE 6 application servers and must be supported by
JSR-314 JSF2 and JSR-317 JPA2, there is growing interest in the Apache
Geronimo, Apache OpenJPA, Apache MyFaces and Apache OpenEJB projects to
grow and maintain a JSR-303 implementation at Apache.

First, to meet this goal, I would like us to consider the following options:

I. - Commons Sandbox
Utilize the existing validator2 sandbox area [4] to collaborate on a
JSR-303 implementation which would eventually become commons-validator-2.0.
Pros:  Existing Apache committers can be given access to the sandbox and
work with the Commons community to become committers.
Cons:  Non-committers must provide patches and build karma, even before
the project is moved out of the sandbox (we have interest from two
companies to help, but most of their potential contributors are not
Apache committers.)

II. - Apache Incubator
Submit an incubator proposal to create a JSR-303 focused project, which
would be sponsored by the Commons PMC and/or Geronimo PMC with the goal
being that the candidate proposal would become a sub-project of Commons
as the new Validator R2 code base.
Pros:  Allows us to seed the initial project with non-committers and
demonstrate there is broad support for this project.
Cons:  Additional incubator proposal and graduation overhead, along with
not working closely with the whole Commons community on developing the
new code base.

Secondly, we have two existing JSR-303 implementations that we could
possibly use to help bootstrap this effort:

I. - Agimatec-Validation project on Google Code
Code uses ASL 2.0 and I have approached one of the Agimatec GmbH
employees about possibly donating the existing code to Apache.

II. - JSR-303 RI
Code being developed by Red Hat as the RI using ASL 2.0.  Kevin Sutter
from the OpenJPA team has approached Emmanuel at Red Hat on this
subject, but it is doubtful we would see a code donation, but could pull
it in as third-party code to get started.

Please let me know your thoughts, as we would like to get this
bootstrapped this month, as the Geronimo community is starting to put
together our plans for a Geronimo 3.0 release in 2010 for a Java EE 6
application server.

-Donald Woods
Apache Geronimo Committer and PMC member
Apache OpenJPA Committer and PMC member
dwoods.AT.apache.org

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VALIDATOR-279

[2] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303