commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "MathWishList" by PhilSteitz
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:51:30 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by PhilSteitz:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MathWishList

The comment on the change is:
Replace dead link with one that is at least alive today

     * Examples, please?  This item goes to the heart of what I consider an ongoing lack of
consensus about what Commons-Math is supposed to be for.  Should it include discipline-specific
algorithms that do not overlap core numerical mathematical areas?  Maybe, but we should discuss
it. -- AlChou
   * Numerical Enhancements
       * [http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html Post-SOC TODO List] - Xiaogang Zhang
-  * Replace some of the discrete pmf and pdf methods with methods based on Catherine Loader's
alogorithms [http://www.herine.net/stat/papers/dbinom.pdf].  These algorithms address some
of the problems we experienced with large parameter values and have been adopted by many software
packages including R.
+  * Replace some of the discrete pmf and pdf methods with methods based on Catherine Loader's
alogorithms [http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/raw-attachment/ticket/620/loader2000Fast.pdf].
 These algorithms address some of the problems we experienced with large parameter values
and have been adopted by many software packages including R.
   * Implement monte carlo simulation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method]
   * [wiki:PrimeNumbers Prime Numbers Functionality] -- SharonLourduraj
        * Naive Primality Testing