commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Codec 1.4 based on RC3
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 08:33:11 GMT

Niall, thank you for cutting the RC.

The default.properties file contains:

junit.jar = ${junit.home}/junit-3.8.2.jar

The JUnit 3.8.2 download contains junit.jar, not junit-3.8.2.jar. I have made the change in
SVN.

> Sigs and hashes are good and both ant and maven builds work fine on jdk
> 1.4-1.6.
>
> I see there are 2 issues open with fix version = 1.4 and 3 more that are
> uncategorized.
>
> I am +1 on this release assuming the open issues can be assigned to a
> later release.
>
> Are all of the files in the top-level directory of the source
> distribution necessary, still-maintainted, and relevant?

Phil, you must be talking about the -src file, as opposed to the -bin version. The -bin zip
looks clean, no extra files at the root there.

For the -src zip file:

It is a bit odd to have a RELEASE-NOTES file for each release. I usually see one file that
contains just the information for the current release or the whole history, one release after
another, which is my preference (from newest to oldest release.)

The RELEASE-NOTES files for older version are in a different format that our current nice
and clean format for 1.4, but I would still rather see all the history in one file, no matter
what the format.

The RELEASE-PLAN file is not up to date since it does not contain an entry for release 1.4.
IMO, it should be removed or updated. As it is now, it does not have much value.

I do not think we need to deliver LICENSE-header.txt. It is nice to have in SVN for developers
but I am pretty sure the build does not use it, unless mavens checks to see that each Java
source file starts with those bits?

Gary