commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:38:23 GMT
>>> LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.
>>>
>>> The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.
>>> Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
>>> turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
>>> is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]
>>> Possible options:
>>> * remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)

+1. [lang] doesn't have the power/strength/clout to define these, nor
should we depend on jcip. Thus, the only way that jcip will gain wide
acceptance is if they are included in the JDK.

>>> Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.

[lang] doesn't have any annotations right now, and I struggle to see any
that are sufficiently common, low level and non-religious to justify
inclusion.

> Why not just bundle JCIP in our jar then?

Because they might change outside our control, causing jar file hell.

Stephen