commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] 2.0 binary distro corpulence
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2009 13:55:43 GMT
There have been a few comments on the size of the 2.0 binary distro.
The last RC weighed in at 12mb/17mb gzip/zip.  The large size is driven
by the javadoc, the bundled site and the included javadoc jar.
Uncompressed, the breakdown is as follows

apidocs .....................32mb
site minus apidocs ....36mb
javadoc jar................4.6mb
source jar....................973k
binary jar....................759k
-----------------------------------
total ..........................75mb

As Sebb pointed out, the javadoc jar includes line-numbered linked
source files.  I have no idea what value this jar has to users in
general much less why the linked source is there.  I assume some IDEs
make use of it somehow.  Does anyone have strong feelings about the need
to include it?  If not, I propose that we drop it.

The reason to include the site is really just for the userguide.  The
html for the guide itself is only 400k with maybe 200k of required
images to support it.  As Bill pointed out, the bundled site has broken
links.  Does anyone have any clever ideas on how we can extract the
userguide by itself to bundle in the release?

Thanks in advance.

Phil