commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "MathWishList" by PhilSteitz
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 02:58:08 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by PhilSteitz:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MathWishList

The comment on the change is:
Dropped things that have been implemented or no longer make sense.

   * Add ability to compute the density of normal distribution and other well behaved distributions
   * Add ability to sample from some of the common distributions such as normal, gamma, beta
and so on.
   * Add Dirichlet, Multinomial distributions
-  * Add alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
+  * Add additional alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
-    * "implement good random number generators, e.g., like those described in ''Numerical
Recipes'' or Knuth". -- AlChou
-    * I highly recommend working with Paul Houle [http://www.honeylocust.com/RngPack/] to
get these random number generators integrated into the math library. He has stated to me in
the past that he is willing to relicense them under the Apache license. As well I beleive
that with the BSD being compatable with Apache licensing, there would be little stopping us
from integrating them ourselves as a derivative work. - Mark Diggory - Pluggable as of 1.1
release.
-    * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete distributions [http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]
+  * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete distributions [http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]
-  * Add sparse matrix implementation.   [http://markmail.org/message/esfeuzzazz6yeqyk]
-  * Add Vector implementation (RealVector would extend RealMatrix)
-  * Develop Genetic Algorithms Framework [http://markmail.org/message/jweowvj5hsy7omzc]
   * Resampling [http://markmail.org/message/u3diwc76m66r7qme]
   * Applied-mathematical/Mathematical-physics algorithms? - Henri Yandell
     * Examples, please?  This item goes to the heart of what I consider an ongoing lack of
consensus about what Commons-Math is supposed to be for.  Should it include discipline-specific
algorithms that do not overlap core numerical mathematical areas?  Maybe, but we should discuss
it. -- AlChou
-  * "Rolling" statistics with large windows but limited storage [http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=41870]
-    * I don't understand; we already have some storage-less statistics.  What am I missing
from the post you refer to? -- AlChou
-    * Oh, I remember now that with the standard deviation algorithm I researched, in order
to maintain a '''rolling window''', it would have to store all the data in the window so it
could delete the least recent one while adding the most recent one.  Sorry for the denseness.
-- AlChou
   * Numerical Enhancements
       * [http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html Post-SOC TODO List] - Xiaogang Zhang
-  * Multiple regression [http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200401.mbox/%3c20040128222224.17393.qmail@web41704.mail.yahoo.com%3e]

   * Replace some of the discrete pmf and pdf methods with methods based on Catherine Loader's
alogorithms [http://www.herine.net/stat/papers/dbinom.pdf].  These algorithms address some
of the problems we experienced with large parameter values and have been adopted by many software
packages including R.
   * Implement monte carlo simulation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method]
   * [wiki:PrimeNumbers Prime Numbers Functionality] -- SharonLourduraj