commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL] Unified syntax and 2.0 release (was: Is JEXL ...)
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:29:48 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Henrib<hbiestro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>
>> Also, since the 2.0 branch has moved to JDK 1.5, might make sense to
>> look at the hundreds of raw types usage and other warnings etc (if
>> someone has cycles to allocate, that is).
>>

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean; my apologies if I'm missing the
> obvious.
> Should we be searching for non-generic collection usage or ...?
> I dont see "warnings" at compilation time; is there some tool / target in
> the pom that generates these?
<snip/>

I just pulled it up in Eclipse, so the right compiler and setting will
get you those warnings. Mostly to do with type safety improvements on
Collections classes. So, for example, 1 (of 337) is:

AbstractList is a raw type. References to generic type AbstractList<E>
should be parameterized	jexl2/src/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/util	ArrayListWrapper.java

line 28

Most, if not all of these, can be corrected. Ofcourse, we'll ignore
any generated classes.

> Which brings me to the another question (initiated byJEXL-20); is there a
> checkstyle goal for instance that I should know about ?
> Thanks.
<snap/>

Build the site (mvn site) and look for the checkstyle report. Here is
what we have online:

  http://commons.apache.org/jexl/checkstyle.html

Before release, we will need to do as much static analysis as possible
(checkstyle, PMD, Findbugs etc. -- most are m2 plugins that can
produce site reports) in addition to test coverage (Cobertura and co.)
and compatibility (Clirr and friends). Last one doesn't apply to new
code ofcourse.

-Rahul