commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Codec 1.4 based on RC2
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:54:17 GMT
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/07/2009, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > On 27/07/2009, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
>>  >> On 27/07/2009, sebb wrote:
>>  >>  > I had a quick look at this. It would be trivial to copy the OSGI
>>  >>  > headers as generated by the Maven build, but autogenerating the
>>  >>  > headers (so they would still be OK if the source changed) looks
>>  >>  > somewhat harder.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > For one thing, the "bnd" jar tool seems to need Java 1.5 or later.
>>  >>  > don't think we should force the use of 1.5 for a library that targets
>>  >>  > 1.4.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Also, I could not get it to work from Ant; it seemed to run, but
did nothing.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> Is a build environment of 1.5 a problem? I thought that only the
>>  >>  runtime environment had to be 1.4.
>>  >
>>  > IMO if code is supposed to run on 1.4 it should be buildable on 1.4.
>>

>> You could download an earlier version that runs on 1.4 - looks like
>>  0.0.257 should be OK
>>
>>  http://www.aqute.biz/repo/biz/aQute/bnd/0.0.257/bnd-0.0.257.jar
>
> Tried that, I still get
>
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: aQute/bnd/ant/OrderTask
> (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
>
> It looks like Maven uses Bnd-0.0.238; I may try that.
>
> I haven't yet been able to work out how to get Bnd to create the OSGI
> manifest alone, as is done by the Maven bundle plugin.

I dont know the plugin, but looking at the code it looks like it
generates the jar and extracts the manifest:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases/maven-bundle-plugin-2.0.0/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/bundleplugin/ManifestPlugin.java

So it looks like either you would have to do something similar or just
use Bnd to create the jar

Niall