commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [ALL] Use of SVN variable $Date$ - do we need it?
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:11:41 GMT
sebb a écrit :
> The SVN variable $Date shows the date of last update. Unfortunately
> this is expressed in local time, which makes comparing tags with
> source archives a bit tedious.
>
> Do we really need this variable?

I think it is important for users who find some source code to know how
old it is.

> I would have thought that $Revision was enough to identify the file.

If you do have access to the subversion server, yes. But most people
will download our source code or find them bundled in their favorite
application or operating system distribution without ever looking at the
subversion server.

> Similarly, $HeadURL may vary:   http[s]://svn[.eu].apache.org/
>
> I don't think it adds much value.

I agree.

Luc