commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Codec 1.4 based on RC2
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:42:40 GMT
On 27/07/2009, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/07/2009, sebb wrote:
>  > I had a quick look at this. It would be trivial to copy the OSGI
>  > headers as generated by the Maven build, but autogenerating the
>  > headers (so they would still be OK if the source changed) looks
>  > somewhat harder.
>  >
>  > For one thing, the "bnd" jar tool seems to need Java 1.5 or later. I
>  > don't think we should force the use of 1.5 for a library that targets
>  > 1.4.
>  >
>  > Also, I could not get it to work from Ant; it seemed to run, but did nothing.
>  >

> Is a build environment of 1.5 a problem? I thought that only the
>  runtime environment had to be 1.4.

IMO if code is supposed to run on 1.4 it should be buildable on 1.4.

It should be possible, but tedious, to make the OSGI generation
dependent on Java 1.5 + presence of the "bnd" add-on. Perhaps it could
be done via a new target.

>  Should I raise a bug so that this can be addressed at a later date?

A JIRA enhancement request would allow easier tracking.
And if you can provide a patch, so much the better.