commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, bug triage
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:50:22 GMT

Out of the 20 unresolved issues in Jira, the following list is addressed in
the 2.0 trunk:

JEXL-52	Implicit evaluation of misspelled EL and ways to detect such
occurrences
JEXL-48	NPE during expression evaluation
JEXL-44	Comments don't allow double-quotes
JEXL-41	Allow nested ${} evaluation
JEXL-47	Allow single-line comments with //
JEXL-42	NullPointerException evaluating an expression
JEXL-10	[jexl] Make possible checking for unresolved variables
JEXL-11	[jexl] Don't make null convertible into anything
JEXL-3	[JEXL] Static method resolution (and changes to context)
JEXL-21	operator overloading / hooks on operator processing
JEXL-49	Block statements aren't parsed
JEXL-45	Unhandled division by zero
JEXL-50	Div operator does not do integer division
JEXL-32	BigDecimal values are treated as Long values which results in loss
of precision
JEXL-24	Support Long for integer literal instead of Integers
JEXL-58	UnifiedJEXL

Most of them have been opened for a long time and I suppose no-one will be
willing to fix anything in the 1.1 trunk. May I suggest that the target
release for all bugs becomes 2.0 to begin with since I suspect that their
reporters have either found workarounds and/or are no longer expecting a
fix.

In that same list, besides JEXL-52 that represents a lot of work and might
be tagged as later, all others can be marked as fixed in 2.0 (as far as I
understand them).

Non-yet adressed issues are:
JEXL-46	adding Perl-like regular-expression operators
JEXL-43	Website overview does not mention method calls
JEXL-35	Final API requirements
JEXL-20	Fix checkstyle issues in 1.1 (should be(come) 2.0)

As a personal opinion:
JEXL-46 should not be fixed or marked as later since adding syntactic
elements (especially regexps) is a step towards more complexity.
JEXL-43 - or more globally the new 2.0 features & al - should definitely be
part of the web-site somehow and thus be fxied.
JEXL-35 remaining question should be whether JexlArithmetic should become
public so it makes it easier to implement another Arithmetic.
JEXL-20 (besides being retargeted to 2.0) is difficult to assess to me; what
is the tolerable/authorized/common overall-quality we are seeking in this
respect?

Opinions, comments welcome.