commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [math] freezing current state for release ?
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 00:30:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luc Maisonobe" <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 9:22 AM
Subject: [math] freezing current state for release ?

> Hello all,
>
> I am still struggling to implement properly an efficient Backward
> Differential Formulas (BDF) integrator for stiff problems in the ODE
> package, to solve MATH-172. I fear I won't be able to finish this soon.
> As the release of 2.0 is now mostly blocked by this issue, I would
> propose to postpone it to 2.1, as well as MATH-194 and MATH-195 which
> are not major ones. Do you agree with this ?

+1
There are some issues to clean up with Serialization (e.g. distribution
still has some abstract Serializable classes that look to be transient), but
I'd prefer not to sacrifice the good on the alter of the perfect.  This
isn't the part of [math] that I use, so while I'm happy to nuke it, I don't
want to if someone else actually has a use case. I'm happy with postponing
the remaining issues to 2.1.

> The other remaining issues are MATH-261 concerning generics in Frequency
> and MATH-224 concerning aggregate statistics.
>
> I have tried some workarounds to remove the 7 warnings I get in
> Frequency (3 concerning use of raw types, 4 concerning type safety). I
> did not succeed in reducing the number of warnings, I only moved them
> around or even increased the number. Does someone smarter than me have a
> clue to finish this or do we close the issue with the current state,
> which is much better than what we had a few months ago ?

Like Phil, if sebb's patch works, then great.  But IMHO this isn't a
showstopper.