commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Artifact name
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:47:30 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes configuration2 will be incompatible, it's a complete refactoring of the API. The
package was already changed. My concern is about the artifactId causing a confusion on the
actual version of the artifact.

We're all going that route eventually.  I'm not a big fan of changing
the package name without changing the artifactId.  To me, it's
inconsistent, since any future major version number changes would
require that you change the artifactId.  Then, you'd have

commons-configuration:commons-configuration with package
org.apache.commons.configuration
org.apache.commons:commons-configuration with package
org.apache.commons.configuration2
org.apache.commons:commons-configuration3 with package
org.apache.commons.configuration3

I would rather it be consistent.  But, that's just me.  I certainly
don't speak for everyone.  Either way, the fully-qualified artifactId
(groupId:artifactId) needs to change and so does the package because
of the binary incompatibility.  As long as those two change, we avoid
the "jar hell" situation (even inside Maven2).