commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject [all] Release process (was: svn commit: r788761)
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:53:57 GMT
Changed the email subject, it seemed more appropriate IMO even though
historically its not our favorite topic. Multiple replies below ...

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Siegfried
Goeschl<siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I think this things were discussed a couple of times before and my
> understanding of it
>
> +) we use the M2 release plugin to cut the RC
> +) the RC is using the "real" release tag because it is referenced in
> the released pom
<snip/>

Right, but with all said and the current pom(s), the best approach IMO
is use RCn tags, and svn cp passing tag to final name. I've done this
for a couple of releases, and while some may not be fond of it (having
RCn tag in pom) I think folks generally have been understanding about
the fact that it allows those who want to use the release plugin to do
so (I say this since those votes passed). I intend to continue using
the RCn tags with the current parent. Either way RMs choose, this is
not a deal breaker when voting AFAIAC.

> +) if the vote passes that the RC is the release and we move it just around
>
> If my view of things is wrong and/or incomplete then please update the
> wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases)
>
> Any feedback appreciated

<snap/>

Thanks for keeping it updated :-)

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Jochen
Wiedmann<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> I made good experiences with Nexus in my last two releases. I'd
> recommend to use it.
>
> Basically, the process is the same than what you are doing until the
> point when the release
> is accepted. At that point you are basically done with Nexus. See
>
>    http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html

<snap/>

+1, we should move in that direction. The parent is still using apache
pom v4. It will be better for us to upgrade to v6 and cut a parent
release with any other needed changes before

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jochen
Wiedmann<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Henri Yandell<flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The most important part to consider is 'What can go wrong?'.
>
> Ok, here's my reply to your question. Assuming that I am forced to
> follow the procedure as outlined by you. That means that I am forced
> not to use the maven-release-plugin. Consequently, I am forced to do a
> lot of manual steps, which would otherwise be completely automated.
> The likelyhood that something goes wrong would be dramatically
> increased, including production of invalid or corrupt artifacts at any
> stage in the process. I had my share of that and I don't want it any
> longer.

<snip/>

I know that some RMs don't use the release plugin. I do. There is
really nothing that forces RMs either way.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Mark Struberg<struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:

> I personally don't get all the discussion here, because this very question has imho been
discussed a lot in the past (on commons and maven lists).

<snip/>

+1, having a hard time myself :-)

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Siegfried
Goeschl<siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> some thoughts along the line ...
>
> +) I would like to use the M2 release plugin
<snip/>

+1

> +) I don't mind copying the release tag to a "RCX SVN" tag if the vote fails
<snap/>

Or having RCn in released pom :-)

> +) the <commons.rc.version> is work-around to distinguish multiple RCs
<snip/>

Yup, and more to do with lack of a solution for the apache m2 repo
like Nexus at the time.

> +) I know that the release process is not perfect but "perfect is the
> enemy of good"
>
> And my personal point of view - either we settle for one (documented and
> accepted) approach or you should positively accept that not all things
> are perfect. At the end of the day I want to get a release out of the
> door and not let my RC getting killed by endless discussion (btw - the
> last time it was the version numbering schema for commons-exec)

<snap/>

+1, yes please.

-Rahul