commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:53:53 GMT
ralph.goers @dslextreme.com a écrit :

>> The overhead is acceptable for the limited logging requirements of Commons
>> Configuration.
>
> 1. You have determined this how?
> 2. Commons Configuration needs more logging added. I have had difficulty
> identifying problems because not enough logging is being done. I will be
> adding this.

1. Commons Configuration logs errors mainly when a configuration is
loaded or saved. These errors are rare and when they happen, the few
nanoseconds you might lose with the logging statements are insignificant
compared to the time spent in the IO operations.

2. I just hope you won't add traces to every method calls.

> But not for mine. I do plan on reverting configuration2 back to commons
> logging when I get some time. I'd prefer SLF4J but this list has indicated
> that commons logging is the preferred logging framework to use for commons
> projects.

Please don't forget to demonstrate that JUL is unsuitable first.

Emmanuel Bourg