commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pool] Re: Apache Common Pool Road Map
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:04:56 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Dheeraj Kumar wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Congratulations on Pool 1.5.1 release.
>>
>> I was looking for Java 1.5 generics support on Apache Commons Pool and
>> found out RoadMap at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/PoolRoadMap (last edited
>> 2006-09-10 02:28:23 by SandyMcArthur). Other than that, bug related to
>> this at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-83. I felt, it is
>> good time to have another check on this RoadMap and combine release
>> track for Pool  2.0 and Pool 3.0. As it will reduce lots of
>> development/maintainance efforts. Anyone using JDK below 1.5, will be
>> happy with 1.x track, and for JDK 1.5+ user, there will be Pool 2.x.
> Thanks for the feedback.  The roadmap Wiki page definitely needs to be
> updated.  I will do that following discussion here.  I agree with
> combining the 2.0 and 3.0 tracks, but we need to agree first on what, if
> any, behavior changes we implement as part of the next major release.  I
> would also like us to continue supporting the 1.x branch for backward
> compatibility and pre-JDK 1.5 environments.
>
> At this point, other than addressing POOL-131,  I am not yet convinced
> that we should implement any behavior changes beyond those that were
> implemented in pool 1.4.   That is, of course, just my opinion and I am
> open to suggestions on contract changes for 2.0.  Does anyone have
> specific suggestions for API improvement or comments on the Wiki page?

Generally, that list looks good.

I'd agree we need to add POOL-131/logging. Obviously, that means picking a
framework...

I'd also like to look at POOL-142. I understand the point that Sandy makes but
it remains that not throwing the exception made writing test cases a lot harder.
  Better logging is probably the way to handle this. Back to POOL-131 ;)

My other question is what do we do about the code in

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/branches/2_0_DEV/

?

With the recent changes for fairness and removing syncs, I suspect the code has
diverged a lot.

Mark