commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:28:50 GMT
Ralph Goers a écrit :

> I disagree on both counts. Logging is critical to everything. Debugging
> problems can be quite difficult if logging isn't done well. Commons
> Logging isn't all that sophisticated IMO and using JUL as a facade isn't
> all that practical and just because it can be done doesn't mean it
> should be.  The problem here is that JUL isn't really meant to be a
> facade and users picking up Commons Configuration would like Commons
> Configuration's logging to be integrated with their own. So having a
> "real" facade is of great benefit as the user will just configure their
> system for Commons Logging and be done with it. I do this with my
> applications and haven't yet had to configure a facade for Commons
> Logging as virtually nothing I am using in my environment uses it.
> Virtually everything I am picking up uses Commons Logging or SLF4J these
> days.

And everything ends in log4j, where redirecting JUL requires just one
line in your configuration.

Commons Logging and SLF4J made sense in a pre-Java 1.4 world. Today they
are just a hindrance inherited from the past.

Btw I'll happily change my mind if someone demonstrates that the JUL
bridging isn't viable in production and causes unsolvable memory leaks
or horrible performances.

Emmanuel Bourg