commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] Configuration 2.0 - Persistence
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:25:19 GMT
Ralph Goers a ├ęcrit :

> Here is the part that confuses me. A FileConfiguration would support
> load() and save() and would have a file name associated with it. What
> you are suggesting is that Configuration should have the save() but not
> the load()? If so, where would it save to?

Think about a DatabaseConfiguration for example, a load() method isn't
mandatory since the source of the properties is defined in the
constructor. But you may want to save the changes to the database at any
moment by calling save() (or flush).

The loading mechanism is very specific to the implementation, but the
concept of flushing the properties changed in the memory to the physical
backend can be generalized to all the configurations. It's not specific
to file based configurations.

Emmanuel Bourg