commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [pool] Re: Apache Common Pool Road Map
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:57:00 GMT
Dheeraj Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Congratulations on Pool 1.5.1 release.
>
> I was looking for Java 1.5 generics support on Apache Commons Pool and
> found out RoadMap at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/PoolRoadMap (last edited
> 2006-09-10 02:28:23 by SandyMcArthur). Other than that, bug related to
> this at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-83. I felt, it is
> good time to have another check on this RoadMap and combine release
> track for Pool  2.0 and Pool 3.0. As it will reduce lots of
> development/maintainance efforts. Anyone using JDK below 1.5, will be
> happy with 1.x track, and for JDK 1.5+ user, there will be Pool 2.x.
Thanks for the feedback.  The roadmap Wiki page definitely needs to be
updated.  I will do that following discussion here.  I agree with
combining the 2.0 and 3.0 tracks, but we need to agree first on what, if
any, behavior changes we implement as part of the next major release.  I
would also like us to continue supporting the 1.x branch for backward
compatibility and pre-JDK 1.5 environments.

At this point, other than addressing POOL-131,  I am not yet convinced
that we should implement any behavior changes beyond those that were
implemented in pool 1.4.   That is, of course, just my opinion and I am
open to suggestions on contract changes for 2.0.  Does anyone have
specific suggestions for API improvement or comments on the Wiki page?

Phil