commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [LANG] Wanted - spec lawyer.
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:15:53 GMT
Now that the StringEscape system has a foundation to support
whatever's needed (one hopes) the next step is to define exactly what
escaping XML should do. As Jörg notes in LANG-66, XML is different for
XML 1.0 and 1.1. Great, let's support both then. StringEscapeUtils can
support the old method (for now) with whatever legacy we have to put
in there, but EscapeUtils and UnescapeUtils can be 'correct'.

A core question is what to do about > 0x7f unicode characters.
Escaping them seems bad, yet we did it a lot. In escapeJava, in
escapeXml, in escapeHtml.

Also - a really easy patch in this area if someone wants to do it is LANG-507.

Hen