commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Configuration 2.0 - Persistence
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:59:17 GMT

On Jun 12, 2009, at 1:32 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I may have some time to work on the experimental branch this summer.
> There is a fundamental point I'd like to address, that's the
> persistence of the configurations.
>
> As described in CONFIGURATION-311 I'd like to add two methods to the
> Configuration interface, sync() and flush(), similar to the ones in
> the java.util.prefs API. I haven't got much feedback on this idea,
> and I'd like the make sure there is a consensus on this before
> proceeding.
>
> What do you think?

Here is the part that confuses me. A FileConfiguration would support
load() and save() and would have a file name associated with it. What
you are suggesting is that Configuration should have the save() but
not the load()? If so, where would it save to?

I see value in having a Configuration where the original data, if any,
is not loaded from a file, but the configuration can be saved to a
file. For example, a CombinedConfiguration is constructed through the
merging of various files but then might be saved as its own
configuration.

I guess I'd like to understand how you would expect the configuration
to be associated with a file before sync gets called, what happens if
it isn't, etc.

Ralph