commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] MemcachedFilesCache for Google App Engine (object serialization)
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 22:40:55 GMT
Wow.  I'm interested to see if you can really get this to work. Just
make sure that after you get the existing unit tests to pass that the
functional tests that require external servers also pass - if you do a
mvn site:stage you will see the documentation on how to do that.

VFS-245 is opened against AbstractFileName and probably needs to be
dealt with in the context of what you are doing.

On Jun 4, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Vince Bonfanti wrote:

> [...]
>
> Background info: the Google App Engine (GAE) environment is inherently
> distributed, where an unknown number of multiple instances of your
> servlet-based web application will be running at the same time. The
> GaeVFS
> project (http://gaevfs.appspot.com) implements a VFS plugin on top
> of the
> GAE datastore; this is needed because the "real" filesystem within
> GAE is
> read-only, so GaeVFS provides a writeable filesystem for use by
> applications. It seems that for proper operation of VFS, the
> FilesCache
> implementation used by GaeVFS should (must?) also be inherently
> distributed.
> Fortunately, GAE supplies a memcached API that will be perfect for
> this use
> (if I can solve the serialization problem).
>
> Here's my first cut at what classes I'd need to make serializable
> and some
> notes on which fields might be marked transient:
>
> *AbstractFileName*
> serialized fields: scheme (String), absPath (String), type (FileType)
> transient fields: uri, baseName, rootUri, extension, decodedPath
>
> *FileType*
> serialized fields: name (String), hasChildren (boolean), hasContent
> (boolean), hasAttrs (boolean)
> transient fields: none
>
> *AbstractFileObject*
> serialized fields: name (AbstractFileName), content
> (DefaultFileContent)
> transient fields: fs (AbstractFileSystem),  operation
> (FileOperations),
> attached (boolean), type (FileType), parent (FileObject), children
> (FileName[]), objects (List)
>
> It's very important the the fs (AbstractFileSystem) field be
> transient to
> limit the number of other classes that need to be made serializable.
> It
> looks like files are always retrieved from the files cache via the
> AbstractFileSystem.getFileFromCache() method; if so then the "fs"
> field of
> AbstractFileObject can be restored within this method and doesn't
> need to be
> serialized. We'll need to define a package-scope
> AbstractFileObject.setFileSystem() method to support this. Or, this
> could be
> done within the MemcachedFilesCache.getFile() method before
> returning the
> FileObject (but then we'd need a FileObject.setFileSystem method, or
> do some
> not-very-nice type casting).
>
> *DefaultFileContent
> *serialized fields: file (AbstractFileObject), attrs (Map), roAttrs
> (Map),
> fileContentInfo (FileContentInfo), fileContentInfoFactory
> (FileContentInfoFactory), openStreams (int)
> transient fields: threadData (ThreadLocal)
> question: what types do the "attrs" and "roAttrs" maps contain? are
attrs and roAttrs contain attributes specific to the file system. For
example, Webdav contains what you would get back from a PROPFIND
method. The Jar file system seems to return values found in the jar
manifest., etc. The values I found would all be Strings but I can't
guarantee it.

> question: FileContentInfo and FileContentInforFactory are
> interfaces, what
> are the implementations of these?
DefaultFileContentInfo, FileContentInfoFileNameFactory,
HttpFileContentInfoFactory, MimeFileContentInfoFactory and
WebdavFileContentInfoFactory.