commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r785552 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: java/org/apache/commons/math/complex/Complex.java site/xdoc/changes.xml
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:46:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <luc.maisonobe@free.fr>
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: svn commit: r785552 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src:
java/org/apache/commons/math/complex/Complex.java site/xdoc/changes.xml

>----- "Phil Steitz" <phil.steitz@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Sorry if I am being dense here. What serialization problem do the new
>> fields cause, exactly? The class is immutable and they are set by the
>> constructor.
>
>It takes more space to store. If someone uses serialization to store or
>send a bunch of complex >this will vastly increase the load.

The main problem is that the fields can be either transient or final, but
not both (or rather, you can't reset the value of final fields in
readObject).  I have a slight preference for transient for the reason Luc
gave (a BlockFieldMatrix<ComplexField> will get large quickly), and have no
problem doing the change myself.  But I can wait for other opinions.