commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <>
Subject Re: [math] Re: commons-math, matrix-toolkits-java and consolidation
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 15:35:50 GMT
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Sam Halliday <> wrote:
> Luc... couldn't agree more regarding Serializable. Adding the Serializable
> interface instantly means you not only have to be API compatible with future
> releases but also binary Serializable compatible. This is what stung MTJ...
> it means you can't swap internal details of fields.
> I strongly recommend everybody read the Bloch chapters on Serialisation
> before ever implementing that interface.

I've always found that if you're going to do it, it's better to do
Externalizable (if you anticipate the stuff getting saved in long-term
storage and not just in remoting situations) and make sure you include
a version number in the output so you can handle different
serialization formats.  I have no idea what Bloch said, that's just my
$0.02 (based on today's exchange rates of course).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message