commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Fabulich <...@fabulich.com>
Subject Re: AW: [releasing] SVN Tag creeated by maven
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 20:54:05 GMT
Mark Struberg wrote:

>> So if you tag the RC as DBUTILS_1_2_RC1 then the
>> source code includes "RC1".  If you then later copy that tag to "DBUTILS_1_2"
>> the source code will still say "RC1".
>
> Sorry Dan, there are a lot things missing in mavens release process, but
> this very thing is imho not a problem with maven but with the weirdness
> of SVN handling tags. If you make a svn:copy, then you _will_
> create_a_new_tag_! So pom.xml still contains exactly that what has been
> released, and not only pom.xml, but _ALL_ release artifacts e.g. the
> sources.tar.gz, etc. Renaming tags, moving tags etc is essentially a
> no-no if you don't perform a build from that exact location afterwards.
> SVN guaranties atomic operations - at least _almost_ always. And I've
> seen a lot of weirdness in my last 20 years of using SCMs where this
> 'almost' did matter a lot ;) If you have to make sure 100%, then you
> have to build from the exact location.

I agree that subversion tags are silly, and on many projects I own, I
don't use them; I just record the revision number in a wiki and call that
a "tag."

With that said, I don't actually want to release a binary from one tag and
then copy to another.  (I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted that in my
previous reply.)

I just wish the source code files didn't contain a line saying "This is
RC3"; because then, when we decide that RC3 is final, I have to change the
code one last time to make it actually final.

> What's wrong with the maven-staging? You tag as if you do a release
> (with exact that tag in SVN and pom.xml) but the results will not be
> deployed to the final repo but only to a staging repo. Maybe I only
> missed that part of the discussion, sorry for the noise then.

To recap: Performing the release "as if" it were final is a wise
workaround, but when you use the release plugin to do it, it will create a
tag for you, which creates a riddle as to whether you want to call the tag
"_RC3" or whether you want to just give it the final name, forcing you to
modify the tag (delete/recreate) if RC4 is necessary.  (The idea here
being that deleting/recreating tags is bad.)

-Dan