commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Fabulich <...@fabulich.com>
Subject RE: [all] Rebooting commons projects
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 01:38:52 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:

> Ah, em, we cannot do exactly that of course but the idea is that a new
> project/version can reflect two ideas: A new JRE requirement and/or a
> new implementation of the project SO different to warrant a new project.

I also don't like "-ng" or even "blah2".

Specifically, I don't believe that a "new" project should launch with a
nearly identical or derivative name.

If you feel like you'd want to call it "lang2" or "lang-ng" then just call
it lang 2.0 or 3.0 or whatever and keep a lang-1.x branch around for
stability fixes.

On the other hand, if you think it's different enough to warrant an
entirely new name, like renaming "LDAP Studio" to "Directory Studio", then
go ahead and do that.

Just my two cents...

-Dan