commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [math] top-level package name
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 21:26:02 GMT
Hi Ted,

On May 19, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> What about changing the package name to avoid jar hell?

I don't think there's jar hell.

If users want to use 1.2, they do. If they want to upgrade to new
features in 2.0, they have to also accommodate the incompatible
changes in other methods.

It's not clear to me how renaming the packages improves anything.

If you want to have a method that does something different, you can
always create a new method with a different signature and tell users
to use that method instead of the old one.

I am probably missing your definition of jar hell... ;-)

Craig

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com
> >wrote:
>
>> What is the policy in the other Apache projects?
>>>

>> In OpenJPA, the policy is to make compatibility-breaking changes in
>> a major
>> release. So if you have a change to a signature or behavior of a
>> method that
>> shipped in 1.2.0, you would have to make the change in a 2.0.x
>> release. The
>> old behavior continues in the 1.2.x line.

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!