commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [all] Rebooting commons projects
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 06:55:11 GMT

On May 17, 2009, at 11:39 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> HttpClient is another example that is complained about by users :) The
> only saving grace of v4 is that it is now named HttpComponents Core
> (fitting Stephen's suggestion of a new name).
>
> Of course that means users are also confused due to change in brand
> and complaining about that. Should they use HttpComponents?
> HttpClient? 6 of 1 etc.

This is somewhat off topic, but I was confused because commons
httpclient was version 3. That disappeared one day and hc.apache.org
took its place. All you could find was the work on V4 on that web
site, yet V4 was a long way away from being released. I couldn't even
go into subversion and find the httpclient V3 code under commons.  I
agreed with httpclient needing a V4 rewrite. The code in V3 had many
internal problems that I hope have been addressed in V4. But I am very
happy that I can continue using V3 and that if V4 is also used it
shouldn't cause any problems.

At some point code has to be rewritten to the point that the APi just
can't be kept backward compatible. As HttpClient shows, moving it to
another location doesn't make it any easier for users to deal with. I
don't think the fact that it is now HttpComponents Client makes things
any better from that standpoint, except that the package names don't
clash. That happened simply because it became a TLP.

Ralph