commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [all] Rebooting commons projects
Date Sun, 17 May 2009 18:01:22 GMT

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> From: James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com>
> Subject: Re: [all] Rebooting commons projects
> To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
> Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 7:13 PM
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM,
> Stephen Colebourne
> <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
> wrote:
> > STOP everyone, please! Go back and read the original
> email.
> >
> > The name of the new project isn't the point of this
> discussion at all. Right
> > now I don't give a damn about the name.
>
> The point (at least mine) is that we don't *need* to create
> a new
> project here.  We have the ability (if we jump major
> version numbers
> and change package names) to be innovative with the
> existing projects.
>  We don't have to guarantee backward compatibility between
> major
> versions.

This has historically been the view taken in Commons, and I'm not seeing a consensus to change
that view.  In the concrete case of functor/collections it seems that Stephen is amenable
to, over time, removing functor support from collections altogether, which IMHO is a satisfactory
compromise.  We just need to make sure that anything [collections] does with functors has
an analogous operation in [functor], and maybe a nice writeup of how to use [functor]-provided
collection operations instead of [collections]'.

-Matt