commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [COLLECTIONS] 3.3 release
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 21:37:54 GMT

Matt Benson wrote:
> --- On Tue, 5/5/09, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to remember myself! :)  I would think
>> collections, since
>> that's what this email was regarding.  Is there a
>> branch that gets rid
>> of Transformer, Closure, and Predicate from collections and
>> instead
>> uses Functor's versions of these concepts?  That's
>> what I'd like to
>> see (aside from the fact that I'd have to rewrite all my
>> nifty
>> transformers).
>
> That subject probably requires a debate.  Stephen didn't want to completely switch to
[functor].

I think its really important that [collections] has no dependencies. As part of that, I'd
also suggest that [functor] shouldn't have dependencies.

While I understand the arguments of just picking up another jar if your using it, of tools
like maven, and of eating dog food, when push comes to shove, I believe that one of the core
conceptual attributes of [collections] is that it stands alone. The list archives contains
more detailed discussion on this for those wanting to hunt it down ;-)

Given that I am removed from the coding aspects of this these days, I won't -1 any decisions
on this. But I will register that I believe my position very strongly.

Stephen